THE PLAYMAKER GAMES
The PlayMaker Games was inspired by an old 3v3 tournament that the University of Michigan Men's Soccer Program used to put on each winter. It consists of a different format that requires a sweeper/keeper and the ability to create numbers up situations by allowing your keeper to be a "field player that can use their hands."
- ROSTERS: Rosters must consist of ONLY 3 or 4 players. This tournament is co-ed and open to all-boys, all-girls, and mixed teams. All players must wear shinguards. Three players play on the field at a time. The team on the field is comprised of a sweeper/keeper and two (2) field players. The fourth player, the substitute, waits behind their goal.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: The referee calls out for a “substitution” every 3 minutes. The substitution rotation is as follows: Substitute to Sweeper/Keeper, Sweeper/Keeper to Field Player, Field Player to Substitute. Each player plays each position or the following durations: Sweeper/Keeper (3min.), Field Player (6min.), Substitute (3min.) The team in possession at the time the referee calls “substitution” restarts the play with a goal kick.
- GAME DURATION: Games will last 12 minutes consisting of FOUR QUARTERS that last 3 minutes each.
- OVERTIME: Teams will have a 2 minute golden goal period. If the score is still tied after the 2 minutes, the game will end in a tie. Playoff games will go to penalty kick shootouts.
- FIELD DIMENSIONS: Length 20 yards, width 15 yards. A line will be marked parallel to each goalie, 6 yards from the goal joining both sidelines. This area is called the goal box. One designated player on each team, the sweeper/keeper, is allowed to use their hands in the defending goal box. The goals are 4.5 feet in height and 9 feet in width.
- KICK-INS: There will be NO THROW-INS. Instead, all restarts from the sidelines will be by a kick-in BELOW THE KNEE. If a kick-in goes above the knee it will be the other teams ball from that same spot. Kick-Ins are indirect, meaning you cannot score from a kick-in.
- INDIRECT KICKS: All fouls will be restarted from an indirect kick-in from the spot of the foul. Defenders will be forced to allow 5 yards to the attacking team on indirect-free kicks.
- PENALTY KICKS: Fouls inside a teams attacking half will result in a penalty kick taken from half field stripe.